This balanced and helpful book was born out of the author's nearly decade-long quest to attain a rule of fasting for her family in accordance with the traditional Orthodox Christian discipline. Her goal was not only abstention from meat during Lenten seasons, but also abstention from dairy products, and from oils on the strictest of fast days. The resultant 200 recipes provide a variety of easy, nourishing, and appealing meals. Sprinkled among the delicious recipes are sayings from the Mothers and Fathers of the early Church regarding how the body and soul are affected by eating habits -- pithy illuminations to accompany the appetizing recipes.
A foreword and afterword by two Orthodox priests provide excellent explanations for the underlying principles and effects of fasting.
- How to stock a Lenten pantry
- Recipes for breads, spreads, sandwiches, soups, salads, main dishes, fish, shellfish, desserts
- Dairy-free recipes
- Recipes with and without oil
- Dozens of variations for the recipes
- Homespun introductions to each section
- Helpful notes from the author
- Brief but forceful sayings from Holy Scripture and the saints
- Guidelines for fasting in accordance with the Orthodox Christian tradition